Our Lady of the Star Nursery
Each day up to 300 children arrive at Our Lady of the Star Nursery to receive nutritious meals, medical care and a preschool education. These children are descendants of the Tala Estate which once was a shelter for over 8,000 people suffering from Hansen’s Disease (leprosy).
TO LEARN MORE PLEASE SEE BELOW
Imagine living in a house so small and flimsy that you have to sleep sitting up. Diarrhea caused by contaminated water also drains your children’s body of its energy. You can’t imagine that it could be worse than this but it is because you are branded as a “leper.”
The children and families of Tala are facing this and much more. Although Hansen’s Disease (leprosy) is curable today, the scars and disabilities are still evident. The parents face prejudice, fear and ignorance when they look for work causing their families to go for days without food. When they do get work it is backbreaking menial labor that only pays a few dollars a day.
Our Lady of the Star Nursery opened their doors to help these malnourished and sick children. They are ages three to six and arrive underweight as well as anemic. Many have tuberculosis and multiple other afflictions. The Sisters greet the children with love and welcome them to their preschool. The children receive medical care, nourishment and a preschool education to prepare them for primary school. The grateful parents volunteer at the preschool by cooking, cleaning and gardening.
Within every child there is
Caloocan is part of metro Manila which once was home to more than 8,000 people with Hansen’s Disease.
NUTRITION, MEDICAL ATTENTION AND EDUCATION HELP BUILD STRONGER TOMORROWS
Staff members and volunteers care for 300 children five days a week.
- Each child receives two nutritious meals per day Monday through Friday
- Volunteer doctors provide checkups and prescribe medical treatments
- Children are given immunizations, antibiotics and x-rays
- They learn to count and enjoy activities that prepare them for primary school
- Families attend classes for health education and parenting skills
POVERTY IS AN OVERWHELMING PROBLEM
Without medical assistance many of the 300 children would not survive childhood.
- $1,000 per month covers the cost of medicine
- $100 per month provides x-rays, urinalysis and necessary tests
Food is the foundation for a healthy life. Without nutrition children will succumb to diseases and infections.
- $2,250 per month provides 300 children two nutritious meals each day
- $750 per month feeds 100 children
- $250 per month ensures that each child receives vitamin supplements
Without a basic education they will continue to live in poverty.
- $1,000 per month pays the salaries of the preschool teachers
- $200 per month provides the children with school supplies
It begins with you, please create a brighter future for these children.
100% of your donation goes directly to the fully vetted and tax deductible program of your choice. Our founding corporate partner Discount Waste, Inc. funds all the operational and administrative expenses of All Children, Inc.